Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Teaching your children about giving

Posted By: Holly

I received this in an e-mail from Ann over at Honoring The King and I wanted to share it with you guys! Here is what she had to say:


I feel it is extremely important to teach our children the importance of serving the Lord and being a faithful steward. There is no better way to teach them than lead them. Children learn best by example.

I wanted to share with you how my son recently blessed me. All my children bless me and I am so proud of all them but I wanted to share with you what my oldest son did. My son had some cash of his own. Not many 15 year olds hang on to their cash, they are usually ready to spend it at a moments notice.


We were having a feed the hungry drive at church. Church members were able to make a donation of $20 to purchase a food gift card for a family. Well my son knew about it but we had not discussed it with him. When we were at church the other night my son reached into his pocket and gave me $20 to give for the drive going on at church. I was so proud and I was very touched. It even encouraged me to do more.


I know this time of year we are all struggling financially. With the Holidays and Christmas  your money just does not go very far. With a family of three children we are struggling too. We pay our tithes and thank God we have the money to pay our bills, but that does not leave much money left. With that being said I really did not have the money to buy a gift card for a family but when I saw how my son made that sacrifice, how could I not do the same. By my son actions it really touched me and ministered to me.


It is amazing how our children can touch us and bless our lives so much. I am so thankful for my children. All three of them are so kind, caring and giving.They all pay there tithes and are becoming amazing young people. I am so thankful God gave me these children and that He trust me to raise them for His kingdom.

Thanks, Ann! Shouldn't we all remember how blessed we are and "give" to those who are in "need." I believe the Lord blesses us so that we can "BE" blessings to other people...this is how we show God's love to those who may not "know" Him! Please don't be greedy through the holiday season, or ever:

"For the poor will never cease from the land; therefor I command you saying, 'You shall open your hand wide to your brother, to your poor and your needy, in your land." --Deut. 15:11

“Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”--Luke 6:38


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question? Leave a comment below!